Your yard can look every bit as great in the winter as it does in the summer—at least, if you use decorative lighting. Lights not only look cheerful during the long winter nights, but they’re particularly helpful to family members with mobility or vision issues. On top of that, a well-lit, beautifully-landscaped yard is just pleasant to look at. When you’re thinking about installing outdoor winter lighting or pathway lighting in Kansas City, make sure to talk to a landscape contractor. They can help you design a yard that looks great both day and night.
Here’s what to consider when you want to install outdoor pathway and winter lighting in Kansas City:
- Keep your pathways well lit: Winter makes it difficult to navigate even in broad daylight, so trying to get past driveways and walkways when it’s icy and snowy is a challenge. Lighting your pathways helps anyone visiting your home avoid injury (and saves you from potential liability). Plus, it just looks nicer and safer. Your family and visitors will be happy you went the extra mile.
- Adjust your angles for the time of year: The features you want to highlight can change from season to season. For example, deciduous trees are great in spring, summer and autumn, but can look barren and cold in the winter. Make sure you mix it up each season and adjust your lighting to highlight different parts of your home.
- Add uplighting: Uplighting is a great way to add drama and highlight your yard’s evergreens. Point lights on the ground up toward trees, shrubbery and more.
- Let your snow removal pros know where the lights are: If you intend to use professional snow removal services this winter, make sure to mark the locations of your outdoor lighting. They’ll be much less likely to accidentally trample it or harm it with machinery.
- Perform regular maintenance: As with any household system, regular maintenance can extend your outdoor lighting’s longevity by years. Once per week, grab a soft cleaning cloth and check your lighting. Wipe down the exteriors so the bulbs can continue shining brightly. If anything is missing or damaged, fix it right away or make a note to check on it again before your next weekly checkup.
Despite the winter weather and temperatures, your landscaping doesn’t have to look cold and barren. Installing some well-placed lighting can help increase your curb appeal, while keeping your property safe and enhancing the features you love most.
If you’re not sure what you want to do with your outdoor lighting, talk to a landscape contractor. They can help you design a beautiful, well-lit space that’s safe for you and your visitors alike. They’ll also help you decide how to adjust the lighting depending on the season.
When you’re ready to install outdoor pathway and winter lighting in Kansas City, call MSE Hardscape Design and Installation today. No matter what kind of shape your yard is in, we can help you transform it into something you’ll love.