When most people hear the term “retaining wall,” they likely picture a large structure meant to guard massive hillsides against erosion. While that’s certainly a key role that they can and do play, retaining walls can actually fulfill a number of uses in your home’s or business’s landscaping. Our team at MSE Hardscape Design and Installation has been installing retaining walls for community members for over 15 years, and we’ve just about seen it all by now. Our retaining wall professionals in Kansas City are able to help you realize your landscaping vision with our expertise. Below are some things you want to keep in mind when considering whether a retaining wall is what your property needs:
- Consider your lifestyle: If you’re putting in a retaining wall, you of course want to consider its application to your yard, but you also want to think about your lifestyle—will this retaining wall design in Kansas City enhance how you live, work or entertain? For example, you might be an experienced and dedicated gardener, so we can add tiers to your gardening area using retaining walls. These terraced gardens can give you more real estate to grow the flowers, fruits and vegetables that you and your family enjoy.
- Creativity matters: Putting in features like retaining walls is the chance for many people to flex their creative muscles. You can really think about the look you’re going for and how it can be engrossing to the eye of all visitors to your home or business. And if you don’t necessarily consider yourself a creative person, have no fear—our retaining wall professionals in Kansas City have been at this for years, so we can help guide you through the process of creatively and effectively implementing your overall vision.
- Think about drainage: Most of the time, retaining walls are meant to control the potential erosion of a slope or hillside. While they can be incredibly efficient and effective at this task, all of that water still has to go somewhere. That’s where a drainage system really comes into play—installing some type of drain at the base of a retaining wall is a great way to ensure that the water is flowing away from the slope and from any areas where it can pool.
- Steep slopes may require terraces: As mentioned above, terraces can really be a pleasing addition to any slope for gardening purposes, but they’re also a good way to install retaining walls on a steep slope—rather than having one big wall for the whole sloped area, you’re breaking it up into several that can better control soil and water.
- Never forget backfilling: Backfilling with gravel ensures you’re appropriately supporting the wall and letting it achieve its full functionality. Putting soil over the gravel hides the rocks and allows the space to still be used for gardening or other purposes.
Working with retaining walls is a great way to add versatility and functionality to your landscaping when you use experienced retaining wall professionals in Kansas City. Give MSE Hardscape Design and Installation a call today and we can discuss all of the ways that retaining walls and other hardscape features can be put to use on your property.