Retaining walls have long been used to hold up the earth and prevent erosion on residential and commercial properties, but nowadays, property owners are using retaining walls for more than just their utilitarian purpose. Keep reading to learn about a few more reasons to incorporate retaining walls into your hardscape design in Kansas City:
- Aesthetically pleasing: A retaining wall adds visual appeal to any property. They can be used as a backdrop with flowers and shrubs planted in front of them, or with the right stone, they can be a focal point of your backyard space. Just be sure to talk to a professional before constructing to ensure you’re using the right types of stone to match your outdoor living space.
- Create space: Speaking of outdoor living space, retaining walls can greatly increase the size of it! If your property is hilly or sloped, adding a patio or swimming pool is nearly impossible without the help of a retaining wall. Adding a retaining wall (or several of them, depending on your needs), allows you to add any type of feature you want to your yard.
- Prevent erosion: As mentioned above, retaining walls prevent the ground from falling over on itself. In some scenarios, retaining walls are the only thing keeping your landscaping from washing away! Talk to a professional to see if your property is in need of a retaining wall in Kansas City to maintain its structural integrity.
- Enhance property value: When all of the points above are combined, your property is bound to increase in value. Whether you’re currently trying to sell your home or you’d just like to plan for the future, incorporating a retaining wall is a fantastic way to boost the value of your home without spending a ton of money upfront.
Start planning your retaining wall today!
With the start of the new year, there’s never been a better time to start thinking about your hardscape design in Kansas City. Here are a few things to consider for your retaining wall in 2020:
- DIY vs. professional installation: With the right tools and materials, you could potentially install a retaining wall by yourself. However, we don’t recommend it! Hiring a professional to tackle the job ensures that the wall is built correctly and made of the right stones that’ll support the earth behind the wall for the long term.
- Materials: Retaining walls can be made out of practically any type of stone you can imagine. At the end of the day, your stone of choice depends on your personal preference and budget. Give us a call today to see which material might be right for you!
- Size: If your retaining wall isn’t strictly being used to hold up the earth behind it, the size is all up to you. Just be sure that the wall isn’t too big, as that could distract from other elements of your hardscaping and landscaping. Our professionals can help you plan out your wall to ensure it’s the perfect size for your property.
Don’t wait to call the team at MSE Hardscape Design and Installation to start planning your next retaining wall in Kansas City. We offer free estimates for all of our services!