From decks to patios to outdoor fire features, you want it, so build it! Improving the appearance and functionality of your outdoor space is the best thing you can do for yourself and the value of your home. But how do you even begin to start such large-scale home improvement projects? The good news is that creating the outdoor space of your dreams is not as difficult as you may think. Come up with some ideas, hire a hardscape design expert and watch your yard transform right before your eyes.
The team at MSE Hardscape Design and Installation wants to help you get your creativity flowing! Below are six of the top trends for residential hardscapes in Kansas City this year:
- Outdoor living room: If you’re a homeowner with the idea of a deck or patio on your mind, consider instead a covered outdoor room that you can enjoy and entertain under all year long. When you have an outdoor living room with a cover, everything beneath it is protected—sofas, rugs, tables, chairs, televisions, speakers, game tables and more. An open patio or deck cannot protect all those things from the rain, snow, sun and other damaging weather conditions.
- Outdoor kitchen: Do you love to grill outside? Now, imagine cooking at any time of the year, in any type of weather, in your very own outdoor kitchen! The best part is you can design the layout of your new outdoor kitchen as well as choose the features, like a gas stove or grill, fire pit, fireplace, sink, lighting, fans, countertops… the works!
- Pergolas: Homeowners looking to update their landscape design with something that makes their yard “pop” might want to consider a pergola. Pergolas are typically constructed of wood or composite materials, but today’s options also come with major upgrades. Current pergolas include features like lighting, roll down windows, heaters, sound systems and seating. Combine an outdoor kitchen with a pergola and you’ve got yourself a lovely outdoor getaway.
- Natural textured walls: Whether you want to install a freestanding wall, a privacy wall or a retaining wall, take a good long look at natural stone textures before choosing a building material or design. This particular hardscape trend includes walls that appear to be made of chiseled stone or tumbled stone. Another wall installation pattern gaining in popularity is walls with clean, contemporary lines.
- Entanglement hardscape: A lovely look involves hardscape installations entangled with the surrounding landscape. For instance, pavers can be entangled with nearby grasses or plants to create a fadeaway effect. You can get a dramatic effect by using plank-style pavers, or lay porcelain pavers spaced out with strips of grass to create a stepping stone pattern.
- Contemporary outdoor designs: Outdoor living spaces are looking more and more like interior design these days. Homeowners are leaning toward the clean lines of contemporary design, meaning they want smoother textured pavers and monochromatic color schemes.
If you are thinking about building a retaining wall or investing in patio construction in Kansas City this year, let the team at MSE Hardscape Design and Installation help. Call us today for a free consultation and estimate!