Are you thinking about hardscaping your property? Hardscape features can add curb appeal and functionality. Incorporate hardscape features into your existing landscape, or design it to flow throughout your yard and other outdoor spaces to create uniformity and flow. Hardscape can also boost property value and create the perfect atmosphere for outdoor living spaces. Yes, you can get a marvelous hardscape layout while improving your property!
Here are six helpful tips for choosing the right hardscape design in Kansas City for your home:
- Assess your space: Now that you know you want to add some hardscape to your landscape, the first thing you should do is evaluate your space. For instance, you might want to install a patio, but things like underground utilities and sloping areas could be in the way. Assess the space you have to work with, bring in a professional and take notes.
- Know if you want function: Hardscape design is about more than just adding beauty to your property. Done right, your design can also be functional. For this reason, be sure to choose your design and hardscape material based on how you need it to function, not solely on the prettiest material for the sake of looks. A good example of this is choosing pavers for going around a swimming pool. You need to choose a type of paver that can handle exposure to chemicals and a lot of water.
- Consider your budget: It’s imperative that you go into a hardscaping project with a solid budget in mind. This will make the decision making process easier, including choosing between purchasing natural stone or concrete, and between doing the installation yourself or hiring a professional. Create a budget and stick to it!
- Keep maintenance in mind: As beautiful as your desired hardscape design may be, you really need to ask yourself if you’re willing to keep up with all the required maintenance. So, another question is whether or not your design plans are practical and sustainable. The good news is that, for the most part, hardscaping materials are easy to maintain. The key here is to choose materials that work with your lifestyle, as well as with the design.
- Prioritize your plans: How elaborate do you want your hardscaping design to be? Most people start out designing and installing something simple, like a concrete back patio or stone garden path. But what if you want to build and outdoor kitchen surrounded by stone, rock and concrete features? If you have the money to do all of this, great! If not, sit down and prioritize your design plans.
- Consult a professional: Before finalizing your hardscape plans, you can either run your design ideas by an expert or actually hire a pro to do the designing for you. There are advantages to getting professional input prior to starting construction—it can maximize your space, help you follow your goals, help you stay within budget and ensure your hardscaping is exactly what you want.
Here at MSE Hardscape Design and Installation, our team can help you choose a unique hardscape design in Kansas City for your property. Call us today to arrange a consultation!