One of the biggest challenges faced by professionals in the construction industry is what to do when properties have steep slopes and difficult grades. These elements often cause some erosion concerns, or difficulties planting vegetation. In such circumstances, a retaining wall is an ideal solution, as it will help hold the earth in place and reduce and manage storm water that flows through the area. The result: a strong barrier that makes the landscape in the area more functional.
With this in mind, here is some more detailed information about the various benefits associated with installing a retaining wall in Kansas City:
- You can expand the amount of land you can use: Landscape that is mountainous, sloping or otherwise difficult to use can lead to too many inconvenient restrictions over the kind of construction and landscaping you can perform on that land. Adding a retaining wall in the right position can help you maximize the amount of usable space you have on your property, especially for the purpose of creating a safe space for your patio or walkways.
- You will enhance your erosion protections: As we already alluded to, erosion protection is one of the biggest benefits that comes with using a retaining wall. Erosion will be a big problem for you if you have a sloped landscape, because the soil and its contents can easily get washed downhill. Adding retaining walls and implementing a high-quality drainage system will minimize the potential damage you face in such circumstances and is one of the best tools at your disposal for combating the general effects of erosion.
- You can add some additional value to your property: Adding retaining walls is a quick and easy way to increase the value of your property, and it’s a very cost-effective investment in terms of the return it provides. People who see a retaining wall on your property will know they won’t have to worry as much when it comes to potential erosion-related effects, will have additional space to use on their land and, depending on the type of retaining wall, will have some extra aesthetic value that creates a great first impression on the property.
- You can make a big impact with the design of the wall: Retaining walls can be a beautiful, aesthetically pleasing element to add to your property. They can, for example, be used as a sort of terracing feature for your flowers and landscaping features, and can also act as gateways to your property in addition to providing some very practical benefits. If you need to use retaining walls in certain areas, then why not make them look great in addition to serving whatever function you need them to serve?
- They’re easy to maintain: Your retaining wall will last you years to come, and will require very little maintenance if it’s been built well—you can leave it alone unless you really want to power wash it at some point.
To learn more about installing a retaining wall in Kansas City, contact the team at MSE Hardscape Design and Installation today.