If your favorite thing to do during the summer is hosting barbecues with family and friends, you might already be generating different ideas for this year’s outdoor get-togethers. Barbecues in outdoor kitchens in Kansas City allow you to enjoy delicious food, quality time with friends and family and plenty of fresh air and beautiful weather. It’s hard to go wrong with such a winning combination of factors, but there are certainly some things you can do to kick things up a notch:
- Ask guests to pitch in: Some people who host parties get overwhelmed with planning an entire menu of appetizers, desserts and main courses, but you don’t have to take on all of this responsibility by yourself. Since barbecues are usually pretty informal gatherings, you can encourage guests to bring their favorite dishes to share, potluck-style. You can even ask certain people to bring desserts, others to bring drinks and some to bring appetizers so that you have a nice variety of each.
- Start with a great menu: Now that you’ve delegated some of the meal preparation, you can focus on the main dish. You may choose to cook one single dish, like a roast, for instance, or you could cook a variety of things so that there’s an option for everyone. If you are hosting a large barbecue, it’s courteous to offer some vegetarian or vegan options in case you have any guests who don’t eat meat.
- Keep things simple: Oftentimes, people overdo their decorations at a barbecue. This kind of event is supposed to be casual and relaxed, so don’t get hung up on minor decorative details. Paper plates and plastic silverware are perfectly appropriate, and your guests won’t even notice them while they’re enjoying all of the tasty dishes that are available.
- Consider games and activities: If you have a pretty competitive friend group, lawn games can be a fantastic activity. You can purchase lawn games or improvise with things you have around the house. A few cans of spray paint and a circle stencil is all you need for a game of twister, for example!
- Offer great beverage options: A cooler full of sodas, beers and other beverages is a barbecue staple, but consider doing a little something extra. Mix up a pitcher of signature punch or sangria for your guests to enjoy. Regardless of the specific drinks you serve, make sure you have plenty of non-alcoholic options for younger guests or those who are refraining from drinking.
- Plan your playlist: Music sets the tone for any event, so make sure you choose a playlist that sets the right tone. You can’t go wrong with feel-good classic rock or contemporary hits that your guests will recognize.
If you really want to outdo yourself during this year’s barbecues, consider investing in a beautiful and functional outdoor kitchen. At MSE Hardscape Design and Installation, we specialize in masonry and hardscaping, including the construction of outdoor kitchens in Kansas City. If you want to find out more about having this feature installed in your home, give us a call!