Jack Frost is knocking at your door. Snowstorms approach. It must be time for winter again. Do you know how to properly maintain your hardscapes in Kansas City, MO this season? If not properly cared for, your hardscapes will suffer this winter and require repairs in the spring. Use the following hardscape maintenance tips for the best results.
- Care for those cracks: Don’t let winter settle in without sealing up any cracks in your concrete. If the cracks contain moisture, freezing temperatures will cause the crack to expand, creating more extensive repairs for next year. Repairing cracks right away before the weather turns harsh can save you hundreds of dollars.
- Winterize wood decking: Does your deck include any boards that should be replaced or refinished? Take care of these issues before winter. Apply wood finish to protect them through the season.
- Place your pavers: Are your paving stones level? You don’t want these stones to move once snow and ice arrive. Re-settle your pavers to ensure they are flat and solid. Pick them up and adjust the dirt underneath if necessary. Clean the tops. Now you’re ready for winter to settle your stones back in place.
- Wash away water: Ensure runoff water is diverted from your hardscapes in Kansas City, MO. Clean all gutters and ensure water is running away from brick or wooden structures. If it is not, it can rot the wood and create dangerous ice patches on the concrete. Keep your hardscape safe and sound by diverting all water away.
- Be careful with chemicals: Salt and other chemical solvents are helpful to remove snow and ice from your hardscapes. However, some can damage surfaces or cause staining. Research any products before using to ensure they will not discolor or otherwise harm your hardscape.
- Shovel softly: Even if you use solvents, you’ll probably have to shovel snow off your hardscape at some point this winter. Keep in mind that metal shovels can chip or scratch your hardscape surface. Choose plastic or rubber-edged shovels and use a gentle touch to protect your hardscapes in Kansas City, MO.
- Prep with the pros: For the best results, consult hardscape professionals. If you need to fill cracks or replace wood before winter hits, you can save time and hassle by leaving these jobs to the pros. Using industry-leading methods, they can seal and prep all surfaces for the season and determine the best solutions for future care. They can also answer any additional questions you have about the care of your hardscape.
Don’t let Old Man Winter sneak up on your hardscapes in Kansas City, MO. Properly prepare with these tips that will keep your hardscape in top condition for the season. When spring arrives, your deck, patio and walkways will be ready for a full season of use. If you need assistance with winter hardscape care, don’t hesitate to contact the experts at MSE Hardscapes LLC. Our team is ready to answer any questions or help you prep your hardscape for the season.