A few decades ago, brick or concrete were basically your only options for retaining wall construction in Kansas City, MO. Nowadays, the only thing holding you back from creating a unique retaining wall is the limits of your imagination. From creating intricate designs with several types of brick to using a few different materials in construction, the possibilities are nearly endless. Keep reading to learn more about custom retaining walls!
Why install a retaining wall?
Retaining walls offer both functional and aesthetic benefits to your backyard space:
- Prevent erosion: Although retaining walls are becoming more popular, the main reason for their installation is usually utilitarian. If your yard isn’t completely flat, it can run the risk of eroding over time due to rain and wind. When your yard starts to erode, you have two options: you can re-landscape your lawn to make it flat, or you can install a retaining wall to hold back the earth. Installing a retaining wall is ultimately a less expensive and more efficient option in many cases.
- Expand outdoor living space: Without much flat space in a yard, hosting events or relaxing on your lawn can be difficult. Thankfully, retaining walls are here to help. By installing tiered retaining walls, you can take a sloped lawn and make several flat spaces. The flat spaces created by the retaining walls are ideal for setting up backyard furniture or playing yard games.
Popular retaining wall designs
It’s possible to build retaining walls using a variety of common construction materials. Some of your options include:
- Entwined brick: Brick’s durability makes it an easy choice for a retaining wall, but who said all of the bricks have to look the same? Choose a few different colors and entwine them to make unique designs. There are tons of brick options out there, so don’t be afraid to try them all!
- Concrete planter boxes: One drawback of a retaining wall is that there’s less space for plants to grow. However, that’s not the case if you install planter boxes on your retaining wall! You can grow all sorts of plants, and even vegetables, while keeping your yard safe from erosion.
- Stacked retaining wall: As mentioned above, a tiered or stacked design is actually several smaller walls that have flat spaces in between them. These flat areas are ideal for gardens, lawn games or setting up some outdoor furniture.
Why design a custom retaining wall?
Installing a retaining wall on your property doesn’t have to be a generic venture. Here are some reasons to go with a custom design:
- Add a pleasing aesthetic: If you’re like a lot of homeowners, you want to have the best looking yard on the block, but that can be hard if you have an ugly concrete retaining wall holding up part of your yard. Thankfully, a custom designed wall can add beauty to your back lawn if it’s done correctly. Give us a call and let one of our contractors help you design a wall that’ll be the talk of the neighborhood for all the right reasons.
- Have a unique yard: Retaining walls are common in hilly areas. You can set yourself apart from your neighbors by calling us to install a one-of-a-kind retaining wall in your yard. Your lawn won’t just be safe from erosion—it’ll look great, too!
These are just a few ideas for retaining wall construction in Kansas City, MO. Pick up the phone and call MSE Hardscapes LLC today to learn more about retaining walls and why you should consider designing one for your yard.