Whether you’re installing new concrete, building an addition to your home or are simply hoping to repurpose your space, there is a myriad of reasons why you may decide to demolish existing concrete at your home or business. However, this labor-intensive and time-consuming task requires a high degree of technical know-how and a massive amount of brute force to be executed properly. If you are uncomfortable demolishing your own concrete, you may want to reach out to a masonry contractor in Kansas City, MO.
If you are hoping to demolish an existing concrete slab on your property, you will need to extensively familiarize yourself with the concrete removal process prior to beginning the demolition. Here are just some of the steps that you will need to take if you are hoping to execute a successful concrete demolition:
- Gather your supplies: Depending on the size and condition of the slab you are hoping to remove, you may need to select either a sledgehammer, which is perfectly suited for smaller, more extensively degraded pieces of concrete, or a jackhammer, which should be used on larger, more intact slabs. These niche supplies can often be rented for a fee.
- Prepare for disposal: Before you begin actually removing concrete, you will need to determine how you will dispose of it once it has been destroyed. A masonry contractor in Kansas City, MO will often have ways to recycle or safely dispose of concrete detritus, which can be difficult for non-professionals to get rid of.
- Bring your friends: Even relatively small slabs of concrete will require lots of helping hands to successfully destroy! You will need to rope in as much assistance as you can before beginning the process of concrete demolition. Ideally, you will have at least one or two people hammering the concrete, and one or two more removing the excess material.
- Avoid shrapnel: Demolishing concrete isn’t just difficult—it’s also dangerous! You can avoid any potential disasters by preparing in advance. Laying down a thick layer of polyurethane prior to beginning the hammering process is the best way to keep shrapnel away from yourself and any unfortunate passersby!
- Pry and hammer: Mastering the techniques of concrete removal takes practice and time. A masonry contractor in Kansas City, MO can tell you that it’s extremely important to pry as well as hammer. You will want to apply consistent, even pressure to both sides of the slab that you are attempting to move.
Because of the intensive nature of the concrete removal process, you may want to consider bringing in professional help. You can rely on a masonry contractor in Kansas City, MO to deliver the services that you need.
Since 2004, MSE Hardscapes LLC has been the premier masonry contractor in Kansas City, MO. We are a well-known and well-regarded provider of concrete services, landscaping redefinition and so much more. You can count on our talented and dedicated team to deliver high-quality, dependable work that is executed in a timely and cost-effective manner. We are known for working extensively with our clients to ensure the highest possible degree of customer satisfaction.