Hardscape design is not limited to paver patios, although our contractors frequently provide that service. While creating a floor for gathering is always desirable in back yards with barbecue areas, pools and gardens, hardscape goes beyond floors when enhancing outdoor living spaces. Here are six ideas for hardscape design in Kansas City, MO that may work well for your yard:
- Garden pathways: When you want to show off your rose bushes or super-sized pumpkins, it is nice for your guests to avoid walking through the dirt. Garden pathways provide that surface for those admiring your flower beds or vegetable gardens. Besides providing a decorative use, there are numerous utilitarian applications as well. People often install pathways to control erosion or keep their children from trampling their flowers on the way to a backyard playground or pool. If there is an area where people frequently walk, it is likely perfect for a stone or paver pathway.
- Columns: Hardscape does not just build flat—it can also build up. Blocks or tiles can create the columns or provide a decorative shell for existing columns. Covered porches, carports and even simple garages benefit from this extra decorative touch. You only need to make sure your hardscape has the ability to support any existing structures.
- Water features: When your yard has that perfect place for a fountain or pond, it is time for hardscaping work! Using a combination of pavers and blocks, your water feature can assemble quickly and offer a new dynamic to your yard. There is nothing like the sound of running water to maintain your yard as a restful escape, so do not let the fear of cost hold you back with many easily installed, less-expensive options for water features.
- Retaining walls: While often considered a project of necessity, retaining walls also add a decorative element. They definitely have their useful functions, including erosion control, flower bed protection and providing foundations for fences. With a variety of materials available for retaining walls, you can enjoy the benefits while also creating a new aesthetic for your yard. Consider adding garden beds, or make maintenance easier by using the wall to level slopes in your property.
- Brick pavers: Stone and concrete are common materials for pavers, and they can be very attractive. For those home owners wanting something different, brick is also an excellent option. You can choose the traditional bright red or go with earthy tones. Some people even repurpose bricks salvaged from demolished buildings. Bricks offer durability along with a distinctive appearance that is unlikely to be replicated in other yards.
- Stepping stones: Like the garden pathway, stepping stones create a guiding character in your yard. People frequently use them to place a path in a rock garden by using irregularly shaped natural stones. Stepping stones can also skip across turf or a sand bed and make a great addition to a garden or pool area.
From simple patios to elaborate outdoor kitchens, MSE Hardscapes LLC is prepared to offer the best in hardscape design in Kansas City, MO. Call us today to see what we can do for your yard!